10.14.2008

A Nicolas Cage Movie I Liked?


Usually, I avoid a Nicolas Cage flick, except National Treasure, The Rock and maybe Con Air. His cheap hair implants bother me as well as his one-dimensional acting ability. DO NOT SEE the following Nic Cage movies:
  1. The Wicker Man
  2. Ghost Rider
  3. National Treasure 2
  4. Windtalkers
This guy has so much family in the business and has been around long enough to get gigs that might have succeeded with other leading actors. All that aside, I really enjoyed Lord of War. Surprised?

In Lord of War, Cage plays an arms dealer who makes a name for himself while trying to balance an alternate identity at home and fend off a persistent Interpol Agent played by Ethan Hawke. The cast includes NFL quarterback Tom Brady's ex Bridget Moynahan and Jared Leto as Cage's brother. The film made me uncomfortable for the moral dilemmas that Cage's character ignores, but I could eventually accept it as he got lost deeper in the world of selling guns and gadgets. He became of victim of his profession and lost sight of the larger picture. The plot was not a mind game, but I kept hoping he would come out of his funk. The intrigue kept me into it and the fact that the black market of weapons is not a world often portrayed at this level and in this way in films.

3.5 out of 5, but not one to rent when the family is over for the holidays.

No comments: