3.21.2009

Babylon A.D.

Vin Diesel is tasked as an escort to Aurora and her matriarch (Michelle Yen from Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon) to NYC. It is a post-apocalyptic Russia and Diesel has connections that allow him to move the two women through hurdles of techno-cage fights, fast and furious like snow-mobile chases and a barrage of matrix-esque special effects. Decently entertaining.

Director Mathieu Kassovitz faced some production hardships with 'Babylon', along with Fox's inability to promote their film portfolio of 2008 (see 'The Rocker', 'Mirrors' and 'X Files 2'). In an interview just before the film's theatrical release Kassovitz, whose other films include 'Gothika' and 'Amelie', said, "I'm very unhappy with the film. I never had a chance to do one scene the way it was written or the way I wanted it to be. The script wasn't respected. Bad producers, bad partners, it was a terrible experience."

The distance between Kassovitz's vision and the studio's intentions got me curious and so I have to say that amidst my terribly low expectations I gave it a 2.5 out of 5. 

No comments: