
Ever reminisce about the old days? High School? Adolescence? The 90's were the years I remember life changing and 'The Wackness' is the first film to take me back to that time...the clothes, the music, the slang, Nintendo and pagers.
'Wackness' is set in NYC during the summer of 1994. The influence of Giuliani's reign as mayor has begun and orchestrates into the city becoming one of the supporting cast. Luke Shapiro (Josh Peck) is a dismayed teenage pot dealer who is graduating high school and truly beginning life. His parents are strapped financially and Luke is on the road to depression but develops an outlet for his battles through a relationship with psychologist Dr. Squires, played magnificently by Sir Ben Kingsley. The two form a bond by swapping drugs for therapy sessions and begin a comical and enduring alliance through their problems.
Kingsley is spectacular by the way - truly a scholar. He saves this film which comes out feeling like a 'Dazed and Confused' for the 90's. It was also very well written in terms of character development and dialogue - there is a richness to the philosophies exchanged during Luke and Dr. Squire's discussions and some outright gut busting humor. I found myself ignoring the fact that the kid is pushing an ice cream cart full of marijuana, I was busy replaying how I related to his girl problems and growth. I loved this one, for the walk down memory lane and the way it captured the labyrinth of emotions that life gives - not just as teenagers but as adults as well. 4 out of 5.
No comments:
Post a Comment