8.15.2008

Why I Fell In Love With Movies

As I near the end of 'The Film Club' I came upon a few lines that I feel capture why I developed a love affair with films. Gilmour writes:

There's a certain effect films have on you when you're very young...they give you an imaginative experience in a way that is hard to rexapture when you're older. You "buy it" in a way that you can't really later.

I return to old movies not just to watch them again but in the hope that I'll feel that way I did when I first saw them. (Not just about movies, but about everything.)

Gilmour hit the nail right on the head. In fact, music has a similar effect. During a recent road trip from Michigan to Indiana I found myself scrolling to various Hootie and the Blowfish songs on my Ipod. My mind had traveled back in time to the 90's and to magnify my trip down memory lane I needed a soundtrack that was relevant to my personal experiences.

Like music, certain films come with a memory, a moment that will never leave us. We keep a copy of those movies in our libraries not beacause we'll watch them 3 times year, truthfully we have not watched them in 3 years, but they give us a sense of security- a portal back to a time, a place, a distinct impression that is stored on our hard drive. Here are a few I hold onto (some are classics and that is a whole 'nother reason to have the DVD at your fingertips). Which ones would be on your list? Comments are welcomed.

No comments: