7.20.2008

Bundle of Reviews

Where do we start? Let's rewind from one of my recent viewings...(these are quick recaps)

Hancock (8/10) Will Smith . Jason Bateman . Charlize Theron


I loved the idea of a superhero who is the furthest thing from what comic books have taught society that they should be. Hancock is the guy you don't want to admit you like, his jokes and language is crude and offensive but in the situations where his behavior is questionable I found myself thinking that I would probably react the same way. The movie was entertaining and had enough of a storyline to preserve the interest outside of the CGI festival that it sometimes felt like. This was Will Smith essentially playing his part in an episode of Heroes. If you love the NBC series then this should satisfy your buds until Season 3 begins in the fall. Definitely worth the 10 bucks.

Wall-E (7/10)



Pixar is like gold. They have hatched another great film that has some interesting commentaries on society and how technology is influencing our behaviors and even our weight. Wall-E is lonely and finds the companionship he seeks, outside of the comrodery he has established with a roach, with Eva. The adventure begins as Wall-E chases Eva into the solar system. With the influences of Apple Inc. in nearly every scene I am sure Steve Jobs is elated to have more branding opportunites even in the youngest minds of America. No worry here as I proceed with my review from my Mac laptop (smile). Nonetheless, Pixar has painted a beautiful and soothing picture on the canvas of the screen. It did drag in some parts but overall it is magic for the old and young.

The Incredible Hulk (5/10) Edward Norton . Liv Tyler . Tim Roth



The aftertaste from Ang lee's Hulk is still in my mouth and that is why I was nervous to see this film. It was too short of a time-frame to attempt to re-invent a franchise. Nolan pulled it off with Batman Begins, but uhh...not so much here. Norton is incredible as always and it was great to see Tim Roth return to a sleezy role. My problem was with that I never really got excited. I was waiting for some ridiculous jump across continents or something and instead every captivating moment had already been given away in the previews. Wait for the DVD.

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (3/10) Harrison Ford . Shia LeBouf



Here's the key...remember War of the Worlds? Another Spielberg hype-bomb. This one repeats a similar offense, entertaining first hour and nose-dive during the second hour. That's it: stay for the first 60 minutes and then leave after they arrive in Mexico or whatever. It is true Indiana Jones until that point. After that, well...Redbox is only a dollar.

Iron Man (8/10) Robert Downey, Jr. Terence Howard . Jeff Bridges



Downey, Jr. was on the path to redemption after Kiss Kiss Bang Bang. This sealed the deal for me. He was terrific was the quick witted and brutally sarcastic Tony Stark. The flying scenes were thrilling to watch and I was completedly captivated with the film except for the ending. It felt a little abrupt for me and I thought that the showdown with Bridges' was a bit thrown together. Still a great film, far beyond what I thought it would be. Definitely worth the 10 bucks!

No comments: